Wild Mushroom Beef Stew
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
3/4 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound red skinned potatoes (1 1/2-inches in diameter), cut into quarters
8 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, crimini and oyster, cut into quarters
1 cup baby carrots
Fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme in small bowl.
- Place beef in 4 1/2 to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with flour mixture; mix to coat.
- Combine broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic in small bowl; mix well. Add to beef. Add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots; mix well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Stir well before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 306; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 73mg; Total Carbs: 25g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 644mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.