Wisconsin Cheesemaker's Vegetable Soup
A superb aged cheddar cheese soup with onion, celery, carrot and broccoli florets.
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded aged Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
Dash ground black pepper
- In 3 quart saucepan, combine water, bouillon cubes, onion, celery, carrot and broccoli. Bring to a boil; reduce and heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in 1 to 2 quart saucepan. Stir in flour; cook over low heat 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Stir cheese mixture into simmering vegetable mixture. Season with pepper. Do not boil.
- Soup can be reheated over low heat.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.