Wrangler's Beef Chili
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 (8-ounce) cans no-salt added or regular tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup water
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Hot cooked whole wheat macaroni (optional)
Optional Toppings: Crushed tortilla chips, chopped green or regular onion, chopped tomato, chopped bell pepper, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onions; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, corn, water, spices and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over baked potatoes or whole wheat macaroni, if desired. Garnish with toppings, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- Cincinnati-Style Beef Chili: Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over hot cooked whole wheat spaghetti.
- Moroccan-Style Beef Chili: Substitute 1 cup frozen peas for corn. Stir in 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over whole hot cooked whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.