Kitchen Knife Skills
Tips on how to use a kitchen knife just like a culinary professional.
For a Julienne:
1. Trim the rounded sides of each piece so that a sort of rectangle if created.
2. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices.
3. Stack several of the slices together and cut lengthwise again, creating thin batons called julienne.
4. Continue with remaining carrot pieces.
5. To make a dice then stack the juliennes and cut across creating a dice
To Julienne a Red Pepper:
1. Remove the stem halve and remove ribs carefully.
2. Cut the red pepper into thin strips.
3. For chopping peppers, stand pepper upright, holding the stem. Remove each side, so that you have four pieces and discard the stems and seeds.
4. Slice the pieces lengthwise and then cut crosswise so that you have chopped peppers that can be sautéed.
For a Dice:
1. Start by slicing an eggplant crosswise.
2. Stack the rounds and slice then rotate and cut again, leaving you with diced eggplant.
For a Chop:
1. Lay half of a peeled onion, cut side down on the cutting board.
2. Holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, make several horizontal slices without cutting through the root end of the onion.
3. Next, cut the onion vertically making several slices through the onion layers.
4. Finally, cut across the last vertical slices creating a dice.
For a Mince:
1. Holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, make several horizontal slices without cutting all the way through.
2. Next cut the clove vertically making several slices through the clove layers.
3. Finally cut across the last vertical slices creating a mince.
Instructions provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv.