Cajun Style Red Beans and Rice with Turkey
A Cajun classic - red beans in a seasoned mild chili sauce, mixed with cooked leftover turkey and served over rice.
1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15-ounce) cans mild red beans in chili sauce, undrained
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 cups chopped leftover cooked Butterball® Turkey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic; cook 7 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in beans, cumin, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in turkey; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add parsley to rice; mix lightly. Spoon onto serving platter; top with the bean mixture.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 418; Fat 21g; Cholesterol 82; Protein 20g; Saturated Fat 8g; Trans Fat 0g; Sodium 1373mg; Carbohydrates 36g; Sugar 10g; Iron 0%; Fiber 0%; Calcium 0%.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Butterball, LLC.