Lattice-Crust Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey pot pie, one of the classic comfort foods that puts leftover holiday turkey to very good use.
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1 1/3 cups diced cooked turkey
1 tablespoon butter
1 (10-ounce) jar pearl onions
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
2 cups carrots, julienne sliced
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
- In a kettle over high heat, bring chicken broth and water to a boil. Add diced turkey, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through and tender. Skim the surface and drain, reserving the broth.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and cook pearl onions and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Remove the onions and stir in butter and flour. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbly and golden, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and the reserved broth; cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Season with marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the turkey, pearl onions, frozen peas, and carrots. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Pour into a prepared 9-inch unbaked pie shell and top with a lattice crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is browned.
Makes 6 servings.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.