Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Fruit Dressing
A festive, cranberry glazed whole roasted turkey is served with a colorful dressing studded with cranberries and mixed dried fruit.
1 (14 to 16-pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
2 cups mixed dried fruit, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2/3 cup onion, chopped
1 cup whole cranberry sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 cups turkey broth or reduced-sodium chicken bouillon
Vegetable cooking spray
Pears or apples
- For Turkey: Remove giblet (discard liver), neck and any visible fat from turkey; reserve for stock. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season inside and outside of turkey with salt and pepper.
- Tie drumsticks together and twist wing tips behind the back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow pan. Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven about 2 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices.
- Remove foil and pour glaze over bird. Continue to roast 1/2 to 1 1/4 hours or until the thermometer registers 180°F (85°C) in the thigh and 170°F (80°C) in the breast.
- Remove turkey from oven. Allow turkey to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- For Glaze: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very soft. (If onions begin to brown, lower heat.) Stir in cranberry sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- For Dressing: In medium-size bowl combine stuffing mix, dried fruit, celery, onion, cranberry sauce, sage, thyme and turkey broth. Coat a 2-quart oven-proof dish with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. Spoon dressing in dish and bake uncovered at 325°F (160°C) for 40 to 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- Transfer turkey to platter and garnish with fruits and celery leaves.
Makes 14 to 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.