Sonoma Turkey Risotto
This is Italian comfort food at its best. Serve this creamy risotto—with chunks of turkey, asparagus, red onion and chard—topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and slice diagonally into 1-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 pound chard, chopped
2 1/2 cups dry white wine
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Steam asparagus until just tender. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons in large skillet over medium high heat; add onion and chard and sauté until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine white wine and chicken broth in a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet; stir in rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the wine/broth mixture 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- When the rice is tender, add the cooked vegetables and turkey. Cook, stirring, just until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 servings.