Spice-Seasoned Turkey with Mango Salsa
A festive, hot and spicy roasted whole turkey served with a refreshing mango salsa.
1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (12-pound) whole turkey, thawed if frozen
2 to 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
4 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted and finely chopped
3 green onions, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mix chili powder, coriander, brown sugar, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, cinnamon, allspice, black pepper and cloves in small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate and reserve for gravy. Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold down neck skin.
- Place turkey, breast-side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan. Rub turkey evenly with oil and sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for about 2 hours. Remove from oven and cover breast and tops of drumsticks with aluminum foil to prevent overcooking. Continue to roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until food thermometer reaches 180°F (85°C) when inserted deep in thigh.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
- For Mango Salsa: Combine mangoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Cover and chill. Serve spooned over the turkey slices.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Butterball, LLC.