Turkey Pumpernickel Strata
Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.
4 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup smoked dark turkey*, cubed
1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (2-ounce) jar pimientos, drained
1 tablespoon dried onion
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs, beaten
- On 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan, arrange bread cubes. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in 400°F (205°C) oven or until cubes are dry. Reserve 1/2 cup of bread cubes for topping.
- In bottom of lightly oiled 9-inch square baking dish layer bread cubes.
- In medium-size bowl combine smoked turkey, mushrooms, pimiento, onion, chives, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spread turkey mixture over bread cube layer and top with cheese. Sprinkle reserved bread cubes over cheese.
- In same bowl combine milk and eggs; pour over top of bread layer. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- In preheated 325°F (160°C) oven, bake strata 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center of strata comes out clean.
- Allow strata to stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
*Tip: This recipe is also a great use for leftover holiday turkey.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 360; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 10g; Cholesterol: 270mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 1290mg; Potassium: 369mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.