Winter Fruit Glazed Turkey
Aromatic, whole roasted turkey with an anise-scented red currant and orange marmalade glaze.
1 (12-pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large orange, cut in eight wedges, seeds removed
Winter Fruit Glaze:
1/4 cup red currant jelly
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, ground coarse by mortar/pestle or a coffee grinder
- For Turkey: Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird. Place orange wedges in both body and neck cavities.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- For Winter Fruit Glaze: In 1-cup microwave-safe glass measure combine jelly, marmalade and anise seeds. Cook in microwave at HIGH (100% power) 30 to 45 seconds or until melted.
- Brush glaze over turkey during last 20 minutes of roasting time.
- To Roast Turkey: Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2 1/2-inch deep) roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven about 3 1/2 hours (total roasting time) basting with the pan juices. During the last 20 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with the Winter Fruit Glaze. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180°F (85°C) in the thigh and 170°F (80°C) in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Place on a warm large platter and garnish.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.