Veal Breast Pot Roast Style
Company-worthy veal breast gives the classic comfort food, pot roast, a touch of elegance.
2 to 3 pounds well-trimmed boneless veal breast, rolled and tied
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups quartered small red potatoes
1 cup peeled baby carrots
1 (12-ounce) jar mushroom gravy
3/4 cup frozen cut green beans or use fresh beans
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Brown veal breast on all sides. (Cut veal roll crosswise in half, if too large for pan.)
- Remove veal from pan. Place water, potatoes, and carrots in bottom of pan. Add veal and gravy. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until tender.
- Remove veal but keep warm.
- Add green beans to pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered 5 minutes or until beans are hot and sauce slightly thickened.
- Carve veal roll; discard strings. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.