Grilled Shrimp with Walnuts and Scallions
This delicious shrimp dish, created by Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli, is perfect for springtime entertaining.
Walnut and Scallion Mixture:
1 cup finely chopped Fisher walnut halves and pieces, lightly toasted
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 scallions (green onions) cut into thin rounds, green and white parts both
2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For Walnut and scallion mixture: Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl, set aside.
- For Shrimp: Preheat the grill and make sure it is hot before cooking the shrimp. Thread the shrimp on two skewers, and season with salt and pepper. Coat with vegetable oil and place on the hottest part of the grill. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn over. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque and have cooked through.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and transfer them to the bowl containing the walnut and scallion mixture. Arrange shrimp on a platter. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
- For easier cooking use two skewers when cooking shrimp, thread one through the area by the head of the shrimp, the other by the tail. This will keep the shrimp flat and will prevent them from spinning or falling through the grates during cooking.
- No time to grill? This recipe works just as well sautéed. Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Season with pepper.
- Serve with: Spiced Almond, Grape and Mixed Green Salad.
Recipe and photograph provided by Fishernuts.com via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.